Friday, February 16, 2007

Friday Geology Pic: from one volcano to the next



I was fortunate enough to go see Mount Rainier and Mount St. Helens a few years ago. Both are spectacular for their own reasons. If you have the means, I'd highly recommend going and spending a few days at these places.

Rainier is immense, and one of the first times I saw some really cool glacial features close up. Its also the name of a great cheap beer thats perfect for post-field mapping geology trips.

Mount St. Helens was overwhelming. I was there before its most recent activities, everything was quiet, but even with that, the effects of the 1980 eruption were still very apparent. I'd like to go back and see it now, because even today there is potential for small activity at the Mountain.

This is a picture of me from the west flank of Mount Rainier. If you click on the picture and look in the background, right on the horizon, you can see a blue-hazed out Mountain sticking up, thats Mount St. Helens.

No comments: