Sunday, November 26, 2006

Blogging my drilling project

So I’ve decided to blog about my experience here in Wyoming. Partly because it gets boring at times, and partly because I find so much of what goes into this project interesting.

I should preface this by saying, that everyone that I’ve met on this project, from the drillers to the other geologists are really great people. I find the stories of the drillers and the gossip to be hilarious, maybe a little tragic, but I do have a lot of respect for everyone out here. Drillers are probably the hardest people I’ve ever met. Standing outside in 40 mph winds with a windchill well below zero and throwing around 5,000 lb pipes for 12 hours a day, 7 days a week is pretty intense, and these people work a lot harder than I do. That said, they also make a lot more than I do.

So I’ve started blogging about this experience. Here’s a little background on this project: We’re drilling a series of 4 to 6 wells to accommodate new growth near Laramie, Wyoming. Its out in the middle of nowhere. About 1 hour away from Laramie, near the small towns of Medicine Bow, and Hana, Wyoming.

They need a lot of water, so the wells are really deep (between 2,000 to 3,000 feet deep). They are by far the deepest wells I’ve ever been associated with, and its really interesting to see how it all works. There’s HUGE equipment, lots of machine noise, etc… real burly man type shit.

My job is to log the cuttings to the wells, and in the daytime, map the surface geology and provide sub-surface interpretations to the project manager so that he can determine where to place the next wells.

I work 14 days straight, 12 hours a day, pretty standard for this type of job.


(OH YEAH, if your worried about all the links and shit on the side of this page, I'll update that when I get back to the real world.)

No comments: